Sunday, September 23, 2012

Overcoming Bad Habits by Jacqueline D. Moore


Remember, Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of. ~ Anonymous

Scripture:
Thus they bring judgment on themselves, because they have broken their first pledge. Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to. 1 Timothy 5:12-14 (New International Version)

Recently, a friend forwarded to me an article entitled, “Things Women do to each Other.” It was an article that listed the most common offences that women perpetrated against one another. It talked about gossiping, fighting for men, joining cliques, undermining each other, competing against one another and a few more offences.

I found the article very interesting on many levels. As I sat there reading this piece, I could see women in my life that fit into these roles. You know them too. They are the office gossips, your girlfriends who want to confront the “other woman” for sleeping with her man, or even the usher board that you belong to has become cliquish. I can truthfully say that I may have fit into one or two of these categories myself.

Today I will pick on the gossiper since I too have been one of those who talked about others behind their backs. Gossiping is an easy habit to develop. Usually, our curiosity will get the best of us as soon as someone asks, “did you hear about….. Our ears perk up and we become overwhelmed with the desire to know someone else’s little secret.

Then one day it hit me. If I am listening to someone else talking about another’s little secret, whose to say that the office gossiper, isn’t repeating my little secret? Or, if I am a part of or member of any group that omits another because, well, they just don’t like them, I too am guilty of becoming cliquish.

Saints of God, far too often we fall into these traps of wrong behavior because we need to feel as though we belong, or our own lives are so mundane that we enjoy hearing about the misfortunes of others. We then develop the illusion of feeling better about ourselves. And before we know it, these things have developed into bad habits.

Today I would like to remind you that it takes a very strong person to overcome these bad habits and His name is Jesus. If you truly believe that He abides in you, then overcoming these bad habits ain’t so hard. All you have to do is ask for His help.

And remember, Watch your Thoughts, they become words.Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your Habits, they become character. Watch your Character, for it becomes your Destiny.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Father, we thank You for the light that was given unto us so that we may never walk in darkness. We come once again, seeking Your face and Your favor. Hear our prayers and lend ear to our petitions. Lord, today is a new day. May something that I say or do cause someone else to seek You first. Father God, help me to see the dark places of my life. To let go of those things that are not of You and to live a more Christ like existence. Continue to keep or family, friends and loved ones in perfect peace. Touch our brothers and sisters who have asked for prayer. Guide us once again through the valley, keeping us once again safe in Your Arms. Thank You Lord, for a new day full of new hope and promises. We love You Lord, because You loved us enough to sacrifice Your Son for our sake. Thank You Lord. In the name of Jesus we Pray. Amen.

No comments: