Monday, December 22, 2008

Admire From Afar by S.D. Denny


Every now and then someone comes along in your life that touches you in a way you never dreamed possible. I mean it literally smacks you in the face! One minute you're going about your regular business, you know – work, life, etc. The next minute you're caught up in some kind of rapture over some beautiful creature that has crossed your path. Maturity tells you to "chill out". You see something beautiful – why can't you just admire it? Why does it have to be yours?



Admire From Afar

Can't you simply walk by
A patch of purple pansies
And admire their beauty
From a distance
Can't you simply smile
And give God thanks
For sharing his awesome creation
For all the world to see
I cannot stop at admiration
Of this beautiful patch of wonder
I need to get a closer look
And have it grace my senses
I long to touch the velvety surface
To smell the sweet perfume
Pluck them from the ground
And grace my table with their essence
God, if you'll allow me the chance
To take them home with me today
I promise to nurture them
With all my heart and soul
And so it was granted
My patch of purple pansies in hand
I'm happy and on my way home to grace my life with them
Stopped in my tracks by a captivated passerby
She cries for my patch of purple pansies
Sadly I give them away
Tell me God, why
Must I be a messiah today

S.D. Denny is the author of the forthcoming
The Baker's Dozen. Learn more about her literary gifts at www.PeaceInTheStormPublishing.com