Thursday, November 15, 2012

Learning to Give Thanks by Jacqueline D. Moore

Remember, Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot. ~ The Hausa of Nigeria

Scripture:
the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, and the voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the LORD, saying, "Give thanks to the LORD Almighty, for the LORD is good; his love endures forever." For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were before,' says the LORD. Jeremiah 33:11 (New International Version)

Every now and then as I reflect upon the things that are or aren’t happening in my life, I begin to feel sorry for myself. Sometimes, I think I should have more, do more or I just want more. I sometimes feel that I am failing in my quest to finding my true destiny. But then, something will happen that will remind to put things back into perspective.

So often these mini revelations that I have, aren’t really that significant at all. It might be seeing a homeless woman on the street and I am reminded that I have a home. It could be hearing how someone loss their child, and then I am reminded that I have two beautiful sons. Or it could simply be seeing someone, all alone, with no one to call friend.

Just this past week, I was depressed because I didn’t feel that I was progressing with my writing. I write everyday but didn’t feel that I had been making any progress as a writer. Then, God started doing what He does best. He reminded me that my writing does matter.

The first reminder came in the form of a message from a dear sister in Christ who told me just how much these messages have meant to her. Then today, I received another message from another friend who said she prints them out to share with her mother each morning. As I started reflecting, these were but two of the many messages that I receive each day from people who find inspiration in the things that I write.

I say all this to say, that even though my dream of publishing my book hasn’t come to fruition, my dream of touching the lives of others through the written word has. I thank God for this forum and this opportunity to share His word and to touch the lives of others.

I give thanks to God for allowing me to find a lot. Each and every one of you!

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Lord, sometimes I forget that my purpose isn’t to please myself, it is to please You. I sometimes forget that the gift that You have given me isn’t to please me, it is to be shared with others so they too can see You working in their lives. Father God, forgive me for my selfish nature. Forgive me for not appreciating what I do have. I have love, grace and mercy. I have the gift of life through my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I have fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ who bless me always with their kind words, prayers and thoughts. Lord, I ask that as we begin another week, that each and every one of us will remember, to give thanks for even the smallest of things. That each and every one of us will remember to bless someone else, because you have already blessed each of us. Lord, we give thanks to You on high. We praise and uplift Your Holy Name. Great is Thy faithfulness. Thank You Father. Thank You Jesus. It is in Your name that we submit this prayer. Amen.

Footnote: I wrote this message sometime ago and came across it this evening as I was preparing to do an evening devotional. My praise report is this; God does answer prayers. My debut novel, “Serving Justice” was released in April of 2009 through “Peace in the Storm Publishing and won a literary award in the category of romance. Praise God!

No comments: