Sunday, November 4, 2012

Doing the Right Thing by Jacqueline D. Moore

The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it. ~ Gen. Norman Schwarzkoff

Scripture:
Because you obey the LORD your God, keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes. Deuteronomy 13:18 (New International Version)
How many of you ALWAYS do the right thing? Do you always tell the truth? Return money or anything else for that matter that is not yours? Have you ever told a lie? Do you always follow the word of God?

Have you ever judged someone else without knowing them? Ever felt jealous of a friend? Have you ever been in a group when they spoke ill of someone and you never bothered to defend them, even though you knew what was being said was a lie? Or better yet, spread a rumor about someone just so that you could feel as though you belonged?

If you are honest with yourself, you would have answered yes to at least one of the questions above. Yes, I have told a lie. Yes, I have gossiped about others and spread rumors so that I could fit in. And no, I do not always follow the word of God. I am not proud of these self-revelations but at least, I am honest.

Sometimes we will do things that we know are wrong because yes, sometimes it’s hard doing the right thing. We are so busy trying to get ahead or trying to fit in that we oftentimes will forgo doing what is right so that we can have our own way. However, this is not God’s way.

Two things happened this week that caused me to reflect on my own relationship with God. The first event was a question that was posed in one of my online groups. The question was, “How do you stay in tune with God? The second event was a question that was posed to me by another friend, “Why go to church?

To answer both questions was fairly easy. To stay in tune with God, you must fellowship with other Christians and study the word of God, daily. The reason for my answer is simple.

When we stay connected to other right minded Christians AND study the word of God, it’s a lot easier to “Do the Right Thing.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father, You are the Supreme Authority. You are a God of order. I thank You for being the head of my life. Father, we realize that sometimes change is hard. Changing our way of life, even as the world around us changes, isn't always easy. But we realize and recognize that it is for Your edification, that we who have accepted Jesus Christ as our personal savior must change. Old things must pass away. You are preparing us for what lies ahead, not behind. We thank You for that change. Lord, help us to recognize when we are judging those around us based on their past. We know that You can and that You do, change the hearts of those who diligently seek You. I know that I am not all that You want me to be, but I pray that I would walk just a little bit closer to You each day. Thank You Father, for Your word and for the fellowship that I share with my brothers and sisters in Christ. We love You Lord and thank You for not only what You have done, but what You are about to do. In the mighty name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.

No comments: