Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Warning: Sin is Addicting


All sin tends to be addictive, and the terminal point of addiction is what is called damnation~W.H. Auden

Scripture:
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. Romans 6:15-17

Saints, how many of you have ever gone through an addiction? Exactly, what is addiction? I found a few interesting definitions I want to share with you.

1. Being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit forming. 2. An abnormally strong craving. 3. (Roman Law) a formal award by a court sentence of a thing or a person to another (as of a debtor to his creditor).

Now, personally I found all three definitions to be of great interest. Especially, number 3, but I am getting ahead of myself.

I started smoking when I was about 16. It was the cool thing to do. Now here I am, 35 years later, and I am still smoking. Not because it is the cool thing to do, but because I am physically addicted.

Now some people who have never gone through a physical addiction would say, just quit. But it's not that easy. My body and my emotions start going through some things. Without going through every detail, ultimately my body says, no; don't give it up because we need it in order to feel normal.

Well sin is like smoking. Some sins started out as the cool thing to do. "Everybody else is doing it, it must be okay." Every smoker knows that smoking is bad for you and can lead to serious health problems or even death. There are even warnings on each and every pack of cigarettes.

Unfortunately, there is not a warning on every sin. But there is the bible. The Bible is like the "Surgeon General's Warning"

"Quitting sin now greatly reduces the risk of serious spiritual problems later."

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Lord, I am a sinner. I have not always done what You have said. I ask Father that You would help me to overcome my addiction(s) whatever it may be. Strengthen me Lord, so that I would not give in to the cravings. Calm my spirit and my soul so that I may not use my addiction as an excuse. Help me Lord to realize and recognize that Satan is using my addiction to keep me from You. Lord, I ask that in all that I do and in all that happens, let me never lose hope. Strengthen my faith O'Lord. Let me never think that the things that I do in Your name have been done in vain. Whatever the day may bring, let me trust that You are with me. Whatever path You have chosen for my life, let me follow it without fear. Whatever Satan may bring my way; I shall rebuke it and send it back to him with all authority that has been given to me through my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Father, let me not forget my brothers and sisters whom I pray for and with in all earnestly. Lord, let us not forget Your word which is still the blueprint for us to live more righteously. Lord, I love and praise You. Thank You Lord for my breakthroughs and victories. As I ask and pray these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: