Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Ministry of Motherhood by Cheryl Lacey Donovan



The Ministry of Motherhood by Cheryl Lacey Donovan

Mother is a verb. It’s something you do, not just who you are. I learned the hard way. Who would have imagined it would happen to me -- a mother at sixteen! Why didn’t I listen? Why had I engaged in premarital sex? These questions have reverberated in my mind many times over the years. I was smart enough to know the potential outcome. But, I did it anyway. It just felt so right. How did Tina Turner put it -- what’s love got to do with it? Let me answer that for you. Nothing when your emotions collide with immaturity and stupidity. What a disastrous mix, to say the least. Dwelling on the obvious became a lesson in futility for me each time I looked into my children’s eyes. I understood the monumental task that stood before me as I tried to make ends meet as a single mother. I lived and learned as God prepared me for a manifested destiny. It’s called motherhood with a mission...a ministry. Every word I spoke, every move I made, affected two other innocent souls who didn’t ask to be here. Without a choice, I had to pull myself together and prepare a sermon based on my life. I had to formulate meaningful text, outline life’s lessons, and deliver the message loud and clear so that my children and others could be saved with God using me as a vessel.

I had every reason not to be a good mother. All the cards were stacked against me. Life’s hurdles stood tall at every turn. I was a teenager and the victim of an abusive marriage. From being unable to get public assistance to my ex-husband refusing to pay child support, I was placed behind the eight ball every time. But, to be a mother is one of the most important tasks God has entrusted to women. God chose women as the vessels through which He would bring into being His most valuable creation: mankind.

Mothers are assigned with the task of developing, encouraging, nurturing, and cultivating the lives that are placed in their care. Our most important role is to teach our children about God, His principles, and His plans for their lives. True mothers don’t throw in the towel when the going gets tough. Instead, they look for avenues that lead to destinations that can enhance their lives as well as the lives of their children. Mothers are charged with loving their children unconditionally. The bond that exists between a mother and child is a special one. Faithful and dedicated mothers are the ones that are not afraid to dig down deep into the dirt and pull their children up from sure destruction. This type of love can only be compared to the Love of God for His children. Children are a blessed heritage from God. Mothers should always remember the value that God has placed on children. When He told His disciples, 'suffer the little children to come unto Me for such is the kingdom of heaven', He made it clear that children are important to Him. Mothers should view their role with importance.

This is my journey on the path we call motherhood; the ups, the downs, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I’d like to share with you my labor of love and dedication to make sure that others don’t follow my path. Initially, I will share with you my angst upon finding out I was pregnant. Telling my mother was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. In Chapter three, you will discover the parallels between modern day single mothers and those in the Bible.

As the book progresses, the latter chapters deal with my adaptation to motherhood and the implied tenets of ministry-- chapters with such meaningful titles as Open Door Policy; The Abyss; Mama’s Sermon; Innocence Lost; Happily Ever After; and The Cycle Begins, et al. Each one of these episodes give you a look inside my heart, my soul, my very being...sharing and digging deeper in myself for those nuggets of wisdom. I use biblical scriptures and ‘thus sayeth the Lord’ dictates to guide me. It’s the ministry fundamentality that propels the outreach gesture so that you may be mindful of doing the right thing. This is what this book is all about.

The Discovery…
Order your copy of The Ministry of Motherhood today at http://www.peaceinthestormpublishing.com/.

No comments: