Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Her Value (In the Raw) by S.D. Denny


She doesn't value herself, she has no self-esteem
Never has, never will, or so it would seem
Lost somewhere on the battlefield in a meadow of dreams
As she crawled through the conflicts of life by all means

She doesn't value herself, because in spite of the truth
No one's ever been there to show her the proof
So she searched for that proof through the words of a man
From insecure souls without nurturing hands

From cold hearted rolling stones to the ill intended
From those who held back to those who rescinded
Looking for security because in this cold world it's a must
From sun up to sun down and from dawn till dusk

But those things never came

Now she's ashamed


How could this tragedy have come to be
To such a diamond fashioned so perfectly
With tears in her eyes that flowed so naturally
She uttered the following words to me


How is it that I could possibly be
Any value to anyone, or even to me
When my own Daddy didn't even think enough of me
To protect, or provide or to sacrifice for me


He was not there when I lost my first tooth
When I cried at my first heartbreak as a youth
When I had my first date or when I went to the prom
Or the trip to that clinic that they later bombed


I grabbed the pills from the palm of her hand
And lifted her gently from the saline sand
Brushed off her hair and fixed her clothes
And took upon myself the burden of her woes


My sister, I said, take a walk with me
Let me tell you about who I used to be
I didn't value myself, I had nothing to lose
I've held a pill bottle, I've been battered and bruised

I've searched for security, ended up a single mom
And I lived down the road from that clinic they bombed
But after years of searching for someone who valued me
Through trials and tribulations I discovered it was He


The He that breathed the very life into you
Designed you for a purpose which only He knew
Until He revealed to me this one little clue
That what He's given me, I must now pass to you


So, to my sister who does not value herself
Give your burdens to Him, sit them right on His shelf
He's the light of the world, which shines down from above
In Christ Jesus He gave us his sacrificial love


He values you more than you'll ever know
And more than any man could ever show
And now, my sister, what I've given to you
You must pass to another so she knows she's valued too


YOU HAVE A PURPOSE

~SD Denny
Author of The Baker's Dozen and the upcoming novel, HALF
www.sddenny.com
www.peaceinthestormpublishing.com


Copyright 2010