Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Beauty of Natural Black by Tyrell DeVon Floyd



The Beauty of Natural Black
By
Tyrell DeVon Floyd

Her Natural Beauty is enough,
even when covered up
she exemplifies God's Grace in the finest way

Her attitude is flawless,
and her self respect is strong enough
never to be tarnished;
truth be the word that best describes her

The way she takes nothin' and makes somethin'
is nothin' short of being an art form,
and her warm spirit reaches out to everyone
even when it goes unnoticed

She's as natural
as clouds sit high in the sky,
yet somehow her mind remains grounded

She's sexy without having to
parade her sexuality;
her attire consists of a dress
that's long enough to sweep the floor,
her hair swings low
like a chariot swings low
as it hangs to the middle of her neck

She's Beautiful,
and even more beautiful
as she holds fast to the struggles of life with a smile

She'll starve before climbing
the money hungry tree of greed;
instead she makes do with what she has

She's pure in nature and
respectable in appearance,
she has ingegrity;
so she cares less about the rainbow's colors
of fortune and happiness,
instead she's content just
being Black

To those unaware of her beauty;
they say she's quiet, sheltered, lacluster, and bland
but on the other hand a good man
acknowledges her as his
greatest compliment

She has everything that those counted
above her lack,
and for that,
she'll always be the true Queen
until the others gain what she has;
and that's,
the fortitude to
remain who she is despite
what others think

Her beauty embodies the naturalness,
the naturalness,
of the color Black
Tyrell DeVon Floyd is a radio personality based out of Seattle, Wa, and is a contributor to the forthcoming The Soul of a Man. Please visit http://www.peaceinthestormpublishing.com/ to learn more about The Soul of a Man, and to reach Tyrell DeVon Floyd, E-mail: keep_it_rell@yahoo.com.

6 comments:

Donan22 said...

Ummm, Ummm, Ummm, Mr, Tyrell DeVon Floyd, I truly do not want to sound too Vain when I post this comment, but however when I look in the mirror, the person you described in this post seemed to be looking back at me. Since I have gained a closer relationship with God, I can truly say that I have learned to live my life in a way that is pleasing to God and not Man. I learned the hard way, but once I figured that this is the one Man whom I should be trying to please, everything else fell into place. Thank you Thank you Thank you, I just pray that others can see the message in these words that you have put forth.

Jackie Moore said...

Tyrell, this was beautiful and I loved the way it flowed. Thank you for much respect my very talented brother.

LSW said...

Wow!!!! I love art. This is definitely that. Art.

Dream 4 More said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty of a black woman!

Lorraine Elzia said...

Boy...you better gone' and paint that picture...That had passion and heart and was simply fabulous.

Joey Pinkney said...

Tyrell, I'm pretty sure you've heard it before, but... That is a great poem. You are phenomenal artist with words. The way you sculpted the contrasting ideas to create your image was extremely impressive.

I look forward to reading your contribution to The Soul of a Man Anthology.