Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Overcoming Our Fears by Jacqueline D. Moore

Security is not the absence of danger, but the presence of God, no matter what the danger. ~Anonymous

Scripture:
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah. Psalm 46:1-3 (New International Version)

What are you afraid of? Many of us fear the emotional or physical pain something may cause. We may fear doing certain things because we think we might fail. Some may be afraid to trust, or love someone because of a past experiences. Others may be afraid to trust in their abilities and God given talents; settling for mediocrity. Still others may fear the simple act of interacting with people for fear of rejection. Secretly, we all fear something.

Life is full of unexplored options. Many of us will never reach our full potentials because we allow fear to hold us hostage. We will often fail to choose the road less traveled because we are horrified of the prospect of the unexpected. Our view of the world is often tainted by our fears.

I live in Detroit, Michigan, a city that has often been defined as the murder capital of the world. Many people fear venturing into the city because of this perception. What they fail to realize is that there is danger everywhere. Even in their nice little suburban towns. The key is always being aware of your surroundings and acting accordingly. Because of their fears, they are missing out on a lot of wonderful things that our great city has to offer. The same rule applies no matter where you live.

Understand that fear is an instrument of the devil. He wants us to be afraid. When we express fear, in essence we are saying we don’t trust God. The word of God tells us; Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. It doesn’t say; be scared, hide out don’t live your life. Saint of God, trust in the Lord. Be diligent.

Learn to feed your faith and starve your fears.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God, there is so much in this world to fear. There is death and destruction all around me and I have been hurt by those that I have loved. Teach me Lord, to feed my faith and starve my fears. Help me Lord, to develop a spirit of discernment. Help me to see the tricks and lies of the evil one who seeks to destroy me. Father, teach me to trust in the gifts that You have given me so that I can become all that You want me to be. Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You. Thank You Lord, for protecting me even when I didn’t realize that I was in danger. Continue to hide us Lord, under the wings of Your Salvation. Lord, we thank You, we praise You and we uplift Your Holy Name. Father God, we humbly submit our prayers in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: