Friday, February 27, 2009

Learning to Forgive by Jacqueline D. Moore



Learning To Forgive

Remember, Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future. ~ Paul Boese

Scripture:
This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 1 John 4:9-11
Saints, Is there anyone in your life that you say you hate? Are there people in your life who have wronged you and therefore you can't forgive them? Do you sometimes get angry at those people in your life you profess to love and say mean and hurtful things to them? Do you have a mean spirit?

Now some of you may not believe this, but there are times in my life when I can be mean spirited. And if you are honest with yourselves you too will admit that there has been a time or two in your life when you too have been mean and hurtful to someone you love. In a moment of anger you may have said or done something to someone you say you love.

When someone hurts us our first reaction is to hurt them back; just as much or even more than they hurt us. It doesn't matter who it is. Your significant other, your children, a friend, or even your parents. There is nothing worse than someone you love doing or saying something that they know is going to hurt not just your feelings, but it will hurt your heart and soul.

However, I have good news for you. As you grow in your faith and in your knowledge in Christ you will begin to develop a forgiving spirit, a loving spirit, a spirit that will bridle your tongue and your actions. The more that you grow in the word of God, the more you will become Christ like.

Keep in mind that if someone loves you, you can overlook their moments of anger. If a brother or sister hurts you, don't just turn the other cheek, but put yourself in their place and think about what might have caused their reaction.

Remember that person loves you, so do I, But God loves you best.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God we start our day with a spirit of love. We will show love and compassion to those around us. Our prayer this day is that we may learn to be more patient with those around us and try to remember that words spoken in anger can be forgiven. Father, help us to develop a more forgiving spirit. A spirit that is not easily riled. Help us to recognize when our loved ones are being used against us by satan in an effort to cause us to stumble. Lord, touch our brothers and sisters who have a mean spirit, casting out that vile and wicked demon in the name of Jesus. Have mercy and show favor to Your saints right now. Touch, bless and anoint Your saints who are reading this message. Father, we don't know the needs of Your children, but we know that You do. As we humble ourselves before You this day, in reverence to You, in honor of You, and because of who You are, we will sings songs of praise to You all day long. When we think about Your blessings, we will stop and say, thank You Lord. In the name of Your son, we humbly submit this prayer and claim our victories. Amen.






14 comments:

BG said...

I should have commented sooner because this is a timely topic. The Bible says those who have been forgiven of much forgive much, and that if we don't forgive we wont be forgiven. Forgiveness is the essence of our salvation, and sis I appreciate you for reminding us to be like our Father.

AC said...

Thank you Jackie for your post, no matter when i get a chance to come on and read them they always confirm no matter nutty i am now i am on the right path.

Lorraine Elzia said...

First of all, I don't believe you have ever been mean spirited. You don't have a mean bone in your body. (Smile), but thank you for the message because learning to forgive not only blesses the person who has done you wrong, but also blesses you.

S.D. Denny said...

Jackie, I was recently hurt by someone who I felt I would die for. I couldn't understand how the person could be so insensitive and it made me look at him differently. I am glad I read this blog because I needed to be reminded of God's unconditional love for us and how He wants us to love our brother the same. Thank you for the reminder...

Nanette Buchanan - I Pen Books said...

I have struggled with this topic often throughout my life, I still do today. I've prayed, I've tried to see it from their point of view, and yes I've prayed again. You ask about the mean spirit. I don't know that it is mys spirit that is mean or my spirit that is now protecting me as it has in the past. There are those of us that have been hurt from childhood and never realized that what was to be unconditional love would only come from God. I learned that lesson as adult after I let go seeking for the love from those "titled" to love me.

Again, as I do everyday, I ask myself what is there to forgive if this is the way of their spirit. If this is the way they believe they should treat me...although it brings me discomfort and pain. I too understand forgiveness opens a door to salvation. But I am still at a lost because in order to forgive as an adult I had to walk away.

Donan22 said...

Good afternoon, I too must say that I would really like to thank you for posting on this topic. I have an ex-friend whom I was friends with for over 18 years. This past December we stopped speaking all together. I truly miss the friendship and I have forgiven because time is too short. However those hurtful words that we spoke to one another on that day I do not believe will ever be forgotten. Thanks for the prayer it was well recieved.

Donan22 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dream 4 More said...

Some of have a hard time to forgive. Remember, it is not forgiving the person per se to make them feel better, it is for us! If we do not forgive, then God will not forgive us. Forgiveness is for us, to heal and press forward. Thank you for your wisdom, Jacqueline. I missed you and Cheryl on my Urban Christian show. I will do it again in the near future. I would love to read your book, love the title "Serving Justice". I am thinking of going into the legal field now.

Unknown said...

I was hurt very badly by my previous supervisor and I know I should forgive her. She was cruel! She was verbally abusive and told so many lies about me. I left the job and my friends continue to be tortured by her. I have prayed for her which is why I survived it. But I have yet to forgive although I know I am supposed to. Someday soon because those are her issues not mine. Thanks for your words.

Evangelist Donovan said...

Right on time as always Jackie. I truly believe that our ability to forgive is directly linked with out success in life. I am so glad that you posted this topic. It is timely and relevant. God Bless

Cheryl Lacey Donovan

Marie Antionette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Antionette said...

I believe one should forgive because carrying around anger can be dangerous. Not only to ones self, but if it festers, it can become dangerous to others as well. Especially the ones we love because they are the ones we keep closest to us. I've always been one to forgive, but I also tried to forget. That was a big mistake. I've learned over the years that forgiving and forgetting do not go hand and hand and should not be expected. Just as God sent Christ our way, he gave us free will as well. After a while, a person has to take responsibility for the choices they make. Some intentionally try to hurt others, and use your faith and kindness as a weakness. So by all means make the choice to forgive, because it's the right thing to do; then remember to leave that individual or situation alone, because nine times out of ten, you'll get hurt again. As for hurting others... It happens, but I've learned to accept who I am, ask that person for forgiveness, and curb myself so as it doesn't happen again. Having a good heart and a good spirit comes from discipline... It's not easy and does not happen overnight...

Rose said...

Somebody asked me how many times you should forgive a person and I said as many times as God would. Do you know that people actually do not believe that they can go to God to ask for forgiveness when they keep doing wrong? I told several people last week that if God can forgive us 77,000 times 7 times, and on, surely you can forgive too.

Ollie said...

I enjoyed the post and will be stopping by more often.