Sunday, April 8, 2012

Faith over Fear by S.D. Denny



Yesterday, while driving back from a vacation on the beach, my mind wandered back to a moment during our stay that inspired this thought.

On the first morning of our vacation, the sun was shining brightly and we decided to head down to the beach to get our feet wet. I noticed that my youngest son, who is 14 years old, only stayed at the shore for about five minutes before heading back to our condo. He did this two or three times, which I found odd, but I didn’t make a big deal out of it. After about two hours of family frolicking in what seemed like perfect beach weather, we decided we’d head back to the condo and get cleaned up for lunch. Within 30 minutes, my oldest son had us all come to the balcony and look at a large dark cloud that was moving in over our section of the beach, causing monsoon-like winds (maybe I’m exaggerating a bit), and sending all the beach-goers on their way.

As the dark cloud moved slowly past the area, my youngest son, who was near the balcony, jumped up and said with fear in his voice, “Ma, does it look like the ocean is rising to you?” He seemed a bit nervous, so I peered out into the ocean and then back at him. “No, it doesn’t, son.”

It was at that moment that I realized He’s afraid!

So I asked him, “Son, are you afraid of the ocean?” and he replied without hesitation, “Yes!”

I was saddened to hear that he was afraid, but my thoughts quickly turned to the words of the song I Hope You Dance by Leigh Ann Rimes. There’s a part in the song where she sings “I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean…” My son felt really small – small enough to be afraid, but the truth of the matter is, he’s not alone.

Many of us have fears, especially of things like the ocean – things that are so immense that they can swallow us whole and take us away from our loved ones…or situations in life that have the potential to be devastating and life altering. The important thing is not to allow your fears to stop you from living or pursuing your dreams.

When I was writing my first novel, The Baker’s Dozen, I experienced moments of fear and doubt that made me question what I was doing.

What if no one enjoys my book? Who do I think I am to be writing a book? Perhaps I should just quit now before I fall flat on my face.

Yes, these are things that I said to myself because of fear, but I had to reach deep within and connect with the faith I needed to conquer those negative thoughts. Faith told me that my book would inspire someone…and that I’m not less worthy of the title, Author than others…and that following my dream could never be a mistake. When my dream became a reality, I learned that I had done the right thing by not allowing myself to be overcome by fear and by holding onto the faith that God placed this gift and this dream inside of me and for that reason, I had to persevere.

I told my son that it was okay to have fear, but never to let that fear keep you from experiencing what God has for you. Many fear what they cannot comprehend, but having Faith over Fear will allow you to walk into your blessings in spite of the roadblocks along the way, even when you know in advance that those roadblocks are out there waiting for you.

There’s an awesome life waiting for you, if you’ll just step out on faith. You have dreams that are waiting to come true if only you’ll stop letting fear get in your way.

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean…but I hope you have Faith over Fear… and I hope you dance!

http://sddenny.com

2 comments:

Nancy said...

This is beautiful. You have an incredible gift my friend. Thank you!

BarbScott said...

Sharon,
Wow, this was really an interesting and enlightening read! And you are absolutely correct: we all have fears but it’s what we do with that fear that determines if we will become crippled by it or if we will allow it to activate the faith that lies within us. It’s funny how our fears somehow shrink and lose its impact when we are honest in confronting them; fear operates best in silence and when we perceive we are alone in facing them. However, it is only when we acknowledge those things that cause us concern & anxiety that allow us to be intentional about dealing with it & even get assistance from others who dealt with the same fears & overcome it. Indeed having faith is critical when facing our fears for without it, we have no hope… and without hope we become ineffective & unproductive. Keep the faith my friend & know that your words are touching the lives of many!