Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Art of Serving Others


Remember, Nothing makes you like other human beings so much as doing things for them. ~ Zora Neale Hurston

Scripture:
Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. Jude 1:22-24

Recently, a friend complimented me on being there for him. He told me that my willingness to help him, even though I really didn’t know him that well, inspired him in his own Christian walk. I was a little taken aback by his words as I was feeling that I hadn’t done as much for him as I had expected I should have.

As we discussed our relationship and the willingness of others to birth a dream, the dream of helping other Christian writers promote their work, the reality of what we were doing really hit home. You see, his initial intent in starting the project was to sell more books. However, what he discovered along the way became the thing that was of most value. What he discovered was that his own self-ambitions were diminished as he pushed others ahead of himself. It is something that each of us can and will discover when we learn to put the needs of others ahead of our own.

I will share something today that most don’t know about me. My secret is this; whenever I become discouraged and want to give up, God always manages to put people in my life that I have to help. What I mean by this is that someone will contact me with a need that I have to address, whether it be prayer, counseling, our just being there to talk. That need forces me to put me aside and put that other persons needs ahead of my own.

By the time I get back to what my situation is, I am usually better prepared to put it in its proper perspective. God is teaching me to be selfless and in doing so, I am being blessed by it. And so it should be with each of us.

The dawning of each day brings with it it’s own set of challenges and blessings. We usually have a choice to make. That choice it to wallow in our own self-pity or reach out and impact the lives of others. When we take our eyes off our own problems and reach out to others, God is right there to carry the weight of it all.

My challenge to you today is to take your hands of your own troubles and help someone else carry theirs.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God, today I got caught up in my own pity party. Forgive me. I often forget that the things that I see as problems, You see as possibilities. You see the possibility of my elevation and in the process seeing others being uplifted by me. You see the possibility of me winning someone over to Christ. You see the possibility of me becoming more Christ like. Thank You Lord, not for my problems but for my possibilities. Help me Lord always to be mindful that when I am down, all I have to do is look up, because You are always there, waiting on me to reach to You. Lord, may I always remember to lend a hand, be a friend and to put the needs of others before my own. May something that I do or say today, be a blessing to someone else. I pray that the words that I speak would be a reflection of He who resides in my heart, my Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. Now Lord, we ask for Your continued blessings, Your grace and Your mercy. Touch, bless and anoint our families, friends and brothers and sisters in Christ. We humbly submit our prayers in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.
Jacqueline Moore is a Christian author who offers spiritual words of encouragement daily on her website at http://www.jacquelinedmoore.com . She has contributed to several anthologies and is currently promoting of her first novel, “Serving Justice” under the Peace in the Storm imprint.

No comments: